Q: When should you ungate content?
A) To gate or ungate is an illusion.
B) Never — pillar pages are a fad.
C) Always — forms are dead.
D) Contextually — ungate content when it makes the most sense for your business.
Correct Answer is D) Contextually — ungate content when it makes the most sense for your business.
When should you ungate content?
Content gating is a popular practice in digital marketing, where content is made available only after a user completes a form or takes some other action. While this can be an effective way to generate leads, it can also be a barrier to engagement and sharing. Knowing when to ungate content can be a crucial decision in your digital marketing strategy.
In this article, we’ll explore what content gating is, its benefits and drawbacks, and when to ungate your content.
What is Content Gating?
Content gating refers to the practice of hiding content behind a form or other barrier that users must complete or take action to access. This can include email addresses, phone numbers, or other contact information, as well as social media shares, likes, or comments.
The idea behind content gating is to create a barrier that filters out casual visitors and attracts only users who are genuinely interested in the content. This can help generate leads and build a more targeted audience.
Benefits of Content Gating
There are several benefits to content gating, including:
- Lead generation – Content gating can be an effective way to generate leads and build your contact list.
- Targeted audience – By gating your content, you can filter out casual visitors and attract users who are genuinely interested in your content. This can help build a more targeted audience and increase engagement.
- Data collection – Content gating can be used to collect valuable user data, including email addresses, phone numbers, and other contact information.
- Monetization – Content gating can be used as a monetization strategy, where users must pay or subscribe to access premium content.
Drawbacks of Content Gating
There are also some drawbacks to content gating, including:
- Barriers to engagement – Content gating can be a barrier to engagement, as users may be hesitant to share their personal information or complete forms.
- Reduced reach – Content gating can limit the reach of your content, as it may be less likely to be shared or distributed if it requires users to take an action to access it.
- Negative user experience – Content gating can be a negative user experience if it requires too much information or takes too long to complete.
When to Ungate Content
Knowing when to ungate your content is an important decision in your digital marketing strategy. Here are some situations where you might consider un-gating your content:
- Low engagement – If you find that your content is not getting the engagement you were hoping for, it may be time to ungate it. This can help increase the reach of your content and encourage more sharing and engagement.
- Brand awareness – If your primary goal is to build brand awareness, ungating your content can help increase your reach and visibility.
- New content – If you have new or exclusive content that you want to promote, ungating it can help generate interest and build buzz around your brand.
- Trust building – If your goal is to build trust with your audience, ungating your content can be a great way to demonstrate your expertise and build credibility.
- Long-term value – If your content has long-term value, such as evergreen content or content that provides ongoing education or resources, ungating it can help build a more engaged and loyal audience over time.
Content gating can be a useful strategy for lead generation and building a targeted audience. However, it can also be a barrier to engagement and limit the reach of your content. Knowing when to ungate your content is an important decision that should be based on your goals, audience, and the value of your content over time. By understanding the benefits and drawbacks of content gating, you can make informed decisions about your digital marketing strategy and optimize your content for maximum engagement and impact.